Candidate of Economic Sciences, Associate Professor, Associate Professor of the Department of Finance,
Kyiv National University of Trade and Economics
THE POLICY OF PUBLIC DEBT MANAGEMENT
Background. The question of macroeconomic stability, which is one of the priorities in the development and implementation of measures of the government financial policy, is inextricably linked with the public debt management. The increase in the ratio of public debt to gross domestic product (GDP) is actualizing the search for solutions to stabilize this indicator and further decrease it.
The aim of the article is to study the degree of factors impact on dynamics in the ratio of public debt to GDP, to evaluate the level of the national debt security and to justify the priority directions of the policy for public debt management.
Materials and methods. The theoretical and methodological basis of this research is presented by scientific works of domestic and foreign scholars, devoted to the problem under consideration. Systemic and structural approaches, the methods of factor analysis, analytical estimation, economic-mathematical modeling, generalization and scientific abstraction were applied.
Results. The theoretical and methodological statements concerning the public debt management were highlighted and developed. The estimation of the main factors impact on the dynamics of change in the ratio of public debt to GDP in 2001-2017 was carried out. The approach to evaluating the level of national debt security, based on calculation of integral indicator with the use of risk-oriented method was proposed. The priority directions for the policy of public debt management are substantiated; taking into account the peculiarities of national economic model.
Conclusion. It was determined that inflation had the greatest influence on decrease in the share of public debt in GPD and the exchange rate had the biggest impact on increase of this indicator. It was substantiated that efficiency of public debt management depends on the quality of fiscal and monetary policy coordination. The priority tasks of the state bond issue strategy are minimizing public debt servicing costs, increasing the timing of external borrowing, and raising the credit ratings of the state. It is proposed to use the integral indicator of debt security, taking into account the features of national economy on the basis of determining the level of debt risks.
Keywords: public debt, public debt management, debt security, budget deficit, inflation, exchange rate, economic development.
- Bogdan, T. P. (2013). Derzhavnyj borg Ukrai’ny: osoblyvosti formuvannja ta upravlinnja v suchasnyh umovah [Public debt of Ukraine: peculiarities of formation and management in modern conditions]. Finansy Ukrai’ny – Finance of Ukraine, 1, 32-46 [in Ukrainian].
- Dell’Erba, S., Hausmann, R., & Panizza, U. (2013). Debt levels, debt composition, and sovereign spreads in emerging and advanced economies. Oxford Review of Economic Policy, 29(3), 518-547 [in English]. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxrep/grt026
- Dunayev, B. B. (2013). Dynamics of public debt management. Cybernetics and Systems Analysis, 49 (6), 865-876 [in English]. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10559-013-9576-2
- Koljada, T. A. (2013). Osoblyvosti formuvannja bjudzhetnoi’ strategii’ v umovah global’nogo zrostannja derzhavnogo borgu [Features of budget strategy formation in the conditions of global growth of public debt]. Biznes Inform – Business Inform, 2, 20-24 [in Ukrainian].
- Lisovenko, V. V. (2014), Bench, L. Ja., Bec, O. I. Derzhavnyj borg: konceptual’ni zasady ta makroekonomichni aspekty [Public Debt: Conceptual Principles and Macroeconomic Aspects]. Finansy Ukrai’ny – Finance of Ukraine, 12, 7-31 [in Ukrainian].
- Rozhko, O. D. (2013). Upravlinnja suverennymy borgamy jak instrument makroekonomichnoi’ stabilizacii’ [Governance of sovereign debt as a tool for macroeconomic stabilization]. Bankivs’ka sprava – Banking, 11–12 (119), 46-59 [in Ukrainian].
- Chugunov, I. Y., Pasichnyi, M. D. (2018). Fiscal policy for economic development. Naukovyj visnyk Polissja – Scientific herald of Polissya, 1 (13).Ч. 1. 54-61 [in English]. https://doi.org/10.25140/2410-9576-2018-1-1(13)-54-61
- Baranovs’kyj, O. I. (2004). Finansova bezpeka v Ukrai’ni (metodologija ocinky ta mehanizmy zabezpechennja) [Financial security in Ukraine (assessment methodology and mechanisms of provision)]. Kyi’v : Kyi’v. nac. torg.-ekon. un-t [in Ukrainian].
- Varnalij, Z. S. (2018). Ekonomichna bezpeka ta konkurentospromozhnist’ regioniv Ukrai’ny [Economic security and competitiveness of the regions of Ukraine]. Chernivci [in Ukrainian].
- Vlasjuk, O. S. (2014). Aktual’ni problemy finansovoi’ bezpeky Ukrai’ny v umovah postkryzovoi’ transformacii’ [Actual problems of financial security of Ukraine in the conditions of post-crisis transformation]. Kyi’v : NISD [in Ukrainian].
- Onyshhenko, S. V. (2017). Bjudzhetna bezpeka Ukrai’ny: sutnist’, zagrozy ta shljahy zabezpechennja [Budgetary Security of Ukraine: the essence, threats and ways of providing]. Kyi’v : Znannja Ukrai’ny [in Ukrainian].
- Caruk, O. V. (2010). Ocinka borgovogo finansuvannja deficytu derzhavnogo bjudzhetu Ukrai’ny [Assessment of debt financing of the state budget deficit of Ukraine]. Finansy Ukrai’ny – Finance of Ukraine, 4, 98-101 [in Ukrainian].
- Jurij, S. (2007) Upravlinnja na osnovi zrostannja i Ukrai’na. Zhurn. Jevropejs’koi’ ekonomiky – Journal of European Economics, 1, 6–27 [in Ukrainian].
- Von Hagen, J., Wolff, G. B. (2006). What do deficits tell us about debt? Empirical evidence on creative accounting with fiscal rules in the EU. Journal of Banking & Finance, 0 (12), 3259-03279. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbankfin.2006.05.011
- Oficijnyj sajt Ministerstva finansiv Ukrai’ny [Official site of the Ministry of Finance of Ukraine]. www.minfin.gov.ua/news/borg/borhova-statystyka. Retrieved from https://www.minfin.gov.ua/news/borg/borhova-statystyka [in Ukrainian].
- Kucher, G. (2011). Rozvytok rynku vnutrishnih derzhavnyh borgovyh zobov’jazan’ Ukrai’ny [Development of the market of domestic state debt obligations of Ukraine]. Visn. Kyi’v. nac. torg.-ekon. un-tu – Herald of the Kiev National University of Trade and Economics, 2, 47–58 [in Ukrainian].
- Bogdan, T. P. (2018). Zovnishnje borgove navantazhennja ta vyklyky dlja valjutno-finansovoi’ polityky Ukrai’ny [External debt load and challenges for the monetary and financial policy of Ukraine]. Ekonomika Ukrai’ny – Ukraineeconomy, 7, 21-32 [in Ukrainian].
- Panizza, U. (2008). Domestic And External Public Debt In Developing Countries. UNCTAD Discussion Papers 188, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development [in English]. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.1147669
- Benigno, P., & Missale, A. (2004). High public debt in currency crises: fundamentals versus signaling effects. Journal of International Money and Finance, 23(2), 165–188 [in English]. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jimonfin.2003.10.006
- Aizenman, J., Marion, N. (2011). Using inflation to erode the US public debt. Journal of Macroeconomics, 33(4), 524–541 [in English]. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmacro.2011.09.001
- Oficijnyj sajt Nacional’nogo banku Ukrai’ny [Official site of the National Bank of Ukraine]. bank.gov.ua/control/uk/index. Retrieved from: https://bank.gov.ua/control/ uk/index [in Ukrainian].
- The officialwebsite of OECD. Retrieved from http://www.oecd.org [in English].
- Dottori, D.,Manna, M. (2016). Strategy and tactics in public debt management. Journal of Policy Modeling, 38(1), 1-25 [in English]. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpolmod.2015.12.003